My site traffic had the biggest spike in the existence of my blog yesterday, thanks largely to the kind mouth-words of the incredible Galen Dara and magnificent Tracey Hurley (who you might remember from Prismatic Art Collection fame).
So in celebration, I have kicked my butt into gear and finished these two little creatures that have been drifting somnolently through various stages of completion for the past several months. Enjoy!
Cheers of thanks to everyone who takes the time to ogle my poor drawings and peruse my scant little words. I appreciate all of you.
Those ottomans are the comfiest thing for watching tv. I bet hers had a hidden storage space inside, ‘cuz her mom taught her all about preparedness and efficiency.
Yarka watercolors and Dr. Ph. Martin’s Bombay brown india ink, on a Strathmore watercolor postcard. As usual.
I actually remembered to document my stages on a watercolor! A small watercolor sketch, but it’s something.
Those who follow me on twitter might recall this one! I was extremely unhappy with it for a while, though I’ve since grown a little more at ease. After the jump, I’ll talk a little about the process that goes into watercolors like these.
I’m just going to leave that there for you.
Is what the orthodontic surgeon told me to do. But since it’s never so hard to take it easy as when you’ve been commanded to do it, well… here are those ink sketches I posted yesterday. But colored.
Now I’m going to go lie down, because the painkillers are making me dizzy and tired. But I’ll probably make more art tomorrow.
The canny might recognize a recurring character, here. :3
Not much to this post, I’m afraid. I forgot to document the WIP steps for this one, which is really too bad since it’s another one of my experiments (and one I rather like).
Contrary to what I said of the Alice piece last time, I ended up using that watercolor outlining technique again. Worse, I’m starting to think and plan my paintings in terms of it. :| I’m not sure if this is a good or bad thing, yet. Input would be greatly valued.
I also tried something a bit differently with the way I planned the color scheme, simplifying each background object down to a single color, and each focal point to a main color and at most one or two secondaries. I’ve always really admired artists who worked that way, and I enjoyed it myself. Might be a tack to take in order to fix my eternal color-scheme illiteracy.
This is one of those pieces I mentioned in my last post! It started out as a sketch for a birthday present, became super serious and then became a great big mess of a project that took far too long… but I could list grievances for every piece I work on, and I’m not really that upset with the end result. Though the cat’s face… *sigh*. I tried using watercolor for the linework, as I did with the Eeyore painting, and it turned out a lot chunkier than I intended. Not certain yet whether I consider that a bad thing…
Ah well, you win some… But you always win at art, because you learn something new, right?
Alice Liddell meets the Cheshire Cat
Several other projects are coming close to a finished state too, so stay tuned!
I’ve mentioned that I’m working on my color usage, yes? The entire point of this particular piece was to push my color usage, and experiment a bit with my application of watercolor. Also, I was trying to speed up my overall worktime (this sort of worked out). It’s a pretty silly, simple picture, but I like how it turned out overall. Sometimes one needs to draw something silly.
I don’t believe I pushed myself nearly enough, in the end, but the result was good at least. One lesson I learned is that I really, really need to make more of an attempt to prevent my hand oils from getting on the paper while I’m drawing. It’s hard to see the effects of this in the scan, but it’s there. And of course it drives me crazy. I’ve heard that laying down a layer of spray fixative over the pencilwork can help (putting a barrier of plastic between you and those hand oils!) so I may try that. Or I suppose I could put a slip of newsprint down under my hand like you’re supposed to. Heh…
I took photos of the piece as it progressed. If you’re interested, they’re after the cut.
Color is not my strong suit. I tend to panic and go for neutral earthtones, and when I do push myself to go bright I often overdo it and include far too much variety. Or maybe not very well matched variety.
I’ve decided to make this a bit of a focus, because it certainly deserves it. You’ll be seeing a lot of experimentation in color from me, in other words, though I’ll try to keep it interesting.
To begin with, I’ve gone back into some old ballpoint sketches in my moleskine with colored pencil. I deliberately limited my palette, putting aside a handful of (mostly vivid) colors to work from. I feel I did a decent job with these, though obviously they’re only a start.
Next step: using a palette-generating tool like Kuler to set limits for myself, and see what they look like in paintings.
Wish me luck.