I’ve mentioned that I’m working on my color usage, yes? The entire point of this particular piece was to push my color usage, and experiment a bit with my application of watercolor. Also, I was trying to speed up my overall worktime (this sort of worked out). It’s a pretty silly, simple picture, but I like how it turned out overall. Sometimes one needs to draw something silly.
I don’t believe I pushed myself nearly enough, in the end, but the result was good at least. One lesson I learned is that I really, really need to make more of an attempt to prevent my hand oils from getting on the paper while I’m drawing. It’s hard to see the effects of this in the scan, but it’s there. And of course it drives me crazy. I’ve heard that laying down a layer of spray fixative over the pencilwork can help (putting a barrier of plastic between you and those hand oils!) so I may try that. Or I suppose I could put a slip of newsprint down under my hand like you’re supposed to. Heh…
I took photos of the piece as it progressed. If you’re interested, they’re after the cut.
Apologies regarding the poor quality of the shots. I didn’t feel like prying the tape up between stages, so I used my ipod camera… Which isn’t very good at the best of times, but in low light, even worse. Still, I think you can get the idea!
I could really use a drawing table. There’s my desk! The computer is on top of it, out of sight, and my painting is happening on the little pull-out shelf that’s supposed to hold a keyboard.
And then I was done.
Working on some pieces for clients at the moment (which I may or may not be able to share on here right away…) but I’ll hopefully be doing more of these step-by-step posts in the future!